A space cake is as out-of-this-world as it sounds. Popularized by Amsterdam’s legal cannabis industry, a space cake essentially describes any kind of cake that has been infused with cannabis. While the options are truly endless in the space cake category, they most often resemble a dense slice of pound cake.
With a ton of butter in every inch, pound cake is the perfect vessel for fat-loving THC and it is incredibly simple to make at home. Read on for a recipe for the weed space cake of your dreams.
Space Cake Pro-Tips:
Before we get into baking, let’s discuss a few pro-tips that will lead you to stellar success.
- Scrape down your bowl. After each step, be sure to scrape the sides so that all of the ingredients get evenly incorporated.
- Do not over-bake your space cake. If you leave your cake in the oven for too long, it will become a very dry cake and toughen the overall texture.
- Try space muffins instead of space cake. If you don’t have a 9×5 loaf pan or would simply rather have single-serving space muffins, this recipe makes mouthwatering muffins. Just be sure to butter and flour your muffin tins and then bake them for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is okay).
- Make it your own. This recipe is flavored with vanilla but you can easily swap in whichever flavors you like to make it your own. Try fresh lemon juice or maple syrup or even add in poppy seeds, shredded coconut, nuts, or really whatever your heart desires. This recipe is easily adaptable to your taste and preferences — so get high and get creative with it!
Space Cake Recipe:
Ingredients: (makes about 12 slices)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter/cannabutter (the amount/ratio is up to your desired dosage, just make sure to use 1 cup of butter total)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9×5 inch baking tin or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder then set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or handheld mixer (even a fork will do in a pinch) and cream the butter and cannabutter. Add in the sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down the sides of the bowl and beat a few more seconds.
- Add the eggs in one at a time and mix one at a time until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Next, add the sour cream and vanilla, and mix well. Scrape that bowl down again.
- Add the flour mixture into your wet mixture and stir until combined. Scrape down the bowl one final time and make sure that any lingering butter has been fully incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into the 9×5 baking tin and smooth out the surface until it looks fairly even. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes or until the center is set and a skewer comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are perfectly normal).
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. This cake can be left on the counter for about 3 days if left in an airtight container. It can also be frozen to devour at a later date. Enjoy!
There you have it! Space cake perfection from the comfort of your home. This cake is great on its own, but feel free to go crazy and top it with frosting, a lemon glaze, or any other fixings. Let us know what you think in the comments below!