Looking for the perfect homemade cannabis treat for your next birthday party or special occasion? This recipe happens to be dairy-free, and egg-free. We’ll show you how to make a weed cake that’s as decadent as it is potent.
Weed Chocolate Cake Recipe
Servings: 8 slices
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour(sub with all-purpose gluten-free flour, if desired)
- 1 ¾ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ c. melted cannabis oil*
- ⅔ c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1 c. cocoa powder
- ½ c. room temperature cannabis oil*
- 1 c. non-dairy butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar(plus extra if needed)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ c. unsweetened almond milk(plus a few extra tablespoons if needed)
- *Cannabis oil recipe yields one cup. You’ll use half of the prepared cannabis oil in the cake recipe and the other half for your buttercream frosting.
Prepare Cannabis Oil
To make your weed cake, you’ll want to start with cannabis oil. Raw cannabis flower does not elicit psychoactive effects on its own, so you’ll need to if you don’t already know, you’ll need to read this article to learn how to decarboxylate your herb before it is ready to use.
Making the Weed Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(175 C°). Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the unsweetened almond milk and apple cider vinegar with a fork. Set aside to allow the mixture to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the milk/vinegar mixture, melted cannabis oil, unsweetened apple sauce, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Using a stand or hand mixer, mix at medium speed until well-combined.
- Reduce mixing speeds, carefully add in the boiling water, and mix to combine. The batter will seem thin compared to others you may have made before, but trust the process, you’re doing great!
- Pour the batter evenly into your prepared 9-inch pans and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes. Your cake layers are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake layers to cool completely before frosting. You can accelerate this process by allowing them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then moving the layers to your freezer until chilled completely.
If you’ve never made your own buttercream frosting, don’t miss out! This cannabis-infused version is quick, easy, and sure to outshine the store-bought versions.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl. Add in the cannabis oil and non-dairy butter. Use your stand or hand mixer to combine well.
- Add in ¼ cup of the almond milk and 2 cups of the powdered sugar to start. Mix until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and the remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar. Start by mixing on a low setting and gradually increase your speed. Continue to mix until the frosting becomes fluffy.
- If the frosting is too thin, add powdered sugar(¼ cup at a time) and mix again. If it’s too thick, thin it out by adding in a tablespoon of almond milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Use a spatula to spread a ¼ inch layer of frosting on the top of one of the cake rounds. Stack the other round on top, and frost the exterior of the cake.
Tips for Making Weed Cake
The best part of creating cannabis edibles is the ability to get creative and make them your own.
- Customize your weed cake by adding flavors like orange zest to your batter or raspberry puree to your frosting!
- You can use a piping bag with special decorating tips to create designs with your canna-buttercream, or decorate your cake using sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or crushed candies.
- Make a double-batch if you want to stack your cake layers higher, or use different sized pans to create a tiered cake. When using different pans, cook times will vary, so watch them closely and use the toothpick method to make sure they’re cooked through.
- Pieces left over? Store your remaining weed cake in the freezer in an airtight container and thaw when ready.
The most important tip to remember is to dose carefully and enjoy responsibly. Edibles produce different effects compared to smoking, and they tend to last much longer.
If you follow our recipe and cut your cake into eight slices, each serving would contain roughly the same amount of THC as one gram of cannabis.
This recipe is both delicious and powerful, so start by eating a small piece and wait at least an hour to start experiencing the effects.