The gravity bong is not for the uninitiated smoker who is satisfied with just a few hits. No. The gravity bong is for the determined stoner who likes to go above and beyond, delivering massive effects without spending an extra dime.
What is a Gravity Bong?
Like most homemade smoking devices, there are several variations for making a gravity bong. The general idea of a gravity bong is to use physics to deliver large pulls of water-filtered smoke through a plastic bottle.
A typical gravity bong consists of a two-liter plastic soda bottle with the bottom cut off, a bucket filled with water, a down stem and bowl (or alternative), and a strong will to get high.
The lid of the water bottle will be cut through to make room for aluminum foil to fill with weed, or to insert a down stem with a bowl for the same purpose. The user places the cut soda bottle in a bucket of water and lights the weed, slowly pulling the bottle almost out of the water without going all the way.
The cap is then removed and the user inhales while slowly submerging the bottle back into the water, forcing a large amount of smoke into the lungs.
Materials Needed to Make a Gravity Bong
You can build a gravity bong in a few different ways, but a well-known method of constructing one involves:
- One two-liter soda bottle
- A bucket or similar item (can be a larger plastic bottle with the top cut off if you have one)
- A down stem and bowl or aluminum foil to construct your own
- Drill or tool to cut through the soda bottle cap
Gravity Bong Assembly Instructions
Putting the gravity bong together is relatively simple but requires a bit of precision and patience.
- Cut a small hole through a soda bottle cap and wedge scissors or another sharp tool (be careful) to widen the hole until it’s large enough for you to insert a bowl piece.If you’re using aluminum foil, you can carefully wrap the cap in the foil, molding to the shape of the cap to allow you to put it back on the bottle, and use your sharp tool to cut at least three small holes through the cap. You can then use some additional foil to create a little “wall” to keep your bud from rolling off the cap.
- Cut the bottom off of the two-liter plastic bottle. When constructing DIY smoking tools, remember less is more. Carefully cut from just an inch or two off of the bottom and try to keep the cut as straight as possible. Discard the bottom of the bottle, you won’t be needing it.
- Fill the bucket up with water and leave an inch or two of space at the top.
- The next step is to partially submerge the two-liter soda bottle in the bucket, leaving just a bit of the top of the bottle exposed.
- Insert your bowl piece into the bottle cap or place your aluminum foil cap construction back on the bottle.
- Fill your bowl with some ground bud and get ready to smoke!
How to Hit the Gravity Bong
- Light the weed while simultaneously lifting the bottle out of the water slowly. The bottle should begin to fill with smoke, and if it doesn’t, you’ll need to better secure the cap or make sure there are no other holes in the device.
- Remain slow and steady as you pull the bottle out of the water, stopping just before reaching the top of the waterline. Do NOT pull the bottle all the way out of the water or you will lose all of your hard work.
- Carefully remove the cap and cover the bottle opening with your mouth. Slowly submerge the bottle back into the water which will push a large concentration of smoke into your lungs.
And there you have it. After being filtered through the water, the smoke may feel cool, but don’t think this means it will be a smooth hit. Some report it feeling smooth, but the sheer amount of smoke you’re pulling through your lungs can be harsh, even for advanced smokers.
If you’ve never done a gravity bong before, proceed with caution. It’s important to load the bowl enough so it properly lights and performs all functions, but don’t go over the top and light a ridiculous amount of weed if you’ve never experienced the effects of a gravity bong.
You will get a much higher concentration of cannabis than other smoking methods in a very short period of time, which can be intense for any user.
As with all homemade smoking devices, utilizing plastic and household materials isn’t the healthiest way to smoke in the long run. They’re great in a pinch every now and then or to spice up your method of consumption but shouldn’t be relied on for long term use.