Hey ya’ll! Today we’re going to be cooking with butter! (Insert Paula Dean memes here!) Butter makes everything better, including the ganja! Great cannabutter is the key ingredient for some delectable edibles! From brownies to mac and cheese, cannabutter is versatile and can be used in a wide variety of recipes; creating a rich, decadent flavor profile that’s hard to beat. Before you get to all those irresistible goodies though, you’re going to need a great cannabutter recipe to get you started.
How To Make Cannabutter
- 4 sticks of butter for every ounce of cannabis
- Glass bowl
- Wax Paper
- Large Saucepan
- Decarboxylation your cannabis. To do this, place the cannabis in a single layer on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven at 240 degrees for 40 minutes. When you’ve finished this step, your cannabis should be dry and crumbly.
- In a saucepan, pour in enough water to keep the cannabis floating about 2 inches from the bottom of the pan at all times. Bring the water to a boil and add four sticks of butter for every ounce of cannabis. Allow all the butter to melt completely.
- Once all the butter has melted, add your cannabis and turn the heat down to low heat to allow the mixture to barely simmer for about three hours. When the top of the mix becomes glossy and thick, your mixture is ready for the next step.
- Take a large glass bowl and place a double layer of cheesecloth on the top. While you can use any bowl you prefer, I recommend glass since you won’t have to worry about chemicals from plastic leaching into your cannabutter. You will want to secure the cloth really well. Large rubber bands work for this.
- Pour your cannabutter mixture over the bowl, straining out all the solid material. Once you’ve finished pouring, gather your cheesecloth with the strained debris and squeeze any remaining liquid out into the bowl. Toss the cheesecloth and debris.
- Allow the cannabutter to cool for about an hour in the fridge. You’ll see that the butter will rise to the top and become solid. Because marijuana is fat soluble, all of the goodies will be attached to the butter and the water is now a byproduct.
- Lay out a large piece of wax paper. Run a spatula or knife around the edge and lift the butter off. Place upside down the wax paper and scrape off any of the cooking water.
- Your cannabutter is now complete! Wrap in the wax paper and store in the fridge just like regular butter. Be sure to properly label your product and keep out of reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion.
Cannabutter Video Tutorial
Check out this awesome video by RuffHouse Studios. They provide a great step-by-step tutorial on how to make it, if you’re more of a visual learner.
Now for the fun part! Food! While you can substitute cannabutter into any recipe where butter or oil is used, theses are a few of my favorites.
Infused Butterscotch Blondies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted cannabutter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Optional: 1/3 cup butterscotch chips 1/3 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients, including walnuts, if applicable, in a large bowl.
- Mix your wet ingredients (egg, vanilla, and sugar) in a separate bowl.
- Fold your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Once thoroughly mixed, add your butterscotch chips, if applicable.
- Pour the mixture into a 9*9 baking pan and bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes until a nice golden color.
Infused Baked Mac ’n Cheese
- ½ pound elbow macaroni or shells
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- List 2- Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons cannabutter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ to 3 cups milk, warm
- 4 ounces smoked mozzarella, grated (1 cup)
- 8 ounces medium cheddar, grated (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar, grated (1/2 cup)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add all ingredients from list 1 except the macaroni.
- Add the macaroni last and allow to boil until the pasta is desired consistency.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Melt the cannabutter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly over medium heat for five minutes. You must whisk constantly to avoid scorching or burning the flour. You should end up with a thick, paste like consistency.
- Add warm milk, whisking constantly, to the saucepan over continued medium heat for 1-2 more minutes until smooth and thick.
- Add cheese, salt, paprika, pepper, and nutmeg from list 2 to the saucepan over continued medium heat. Stir until smooth and melted.
- Pour drained macaroni into a glass baking pan and cover in the cheese sauce. Stir to evenly distribute if necessary.
- Combine all ingredients from list 3 in a small bowl and stir until evenly mixed.
- Sprinkle mixed ingredients from list 3 on top of the ingredients already in the baking pan.
- Bake at 375 for 25-35 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the topping is browned.
Infused Carrot Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup melted canna butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cannabutter
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, cannabutter, sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl and mix til smooth.
- Add flour mixture to the canna butter mixture and stir well.
- Fold in shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts and raisins to batter and mix thoroughly.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool.
- With an electric mixer, whip together all ingredients from list 2 while cake is cooling.